Turn off "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is enabled"
In XP/2003 I can turn off the "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is enabled" in IE in the Add/Remove programs.How do I do this in Windows Server 2003 / Longhorn?Ian
July 27th, 2007 7:52am

Found it finally.Go to Server ManagerClick the top item in the tree to the left "Server Manager"On the page that appears, go to "Security Information"Look for "Configure IE ESC" on the right.Perhaps IE ESC could be renamed to "IE Security"
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2007 7:57am

Why is not just in ....Internet explored security options.....DUH ...another common sense out the window scenario..... It shoud bea checkbox on the main security tab......you are welcome Microsoft....please send me a check.....
October 7th, 2007 7:21am

This hiding of features is what bugs me about Vista and Server 2008. Things that used to be easy to find are scattered around. A matrix or search toolof how it was done in a prior OS and the same task is done in the current OS would lead to better adaption of Vista and 2008. For example there is no Add/Remove Programs an Windows Features in 2008 like it is in 2003, XP Pro, 2000 or Win98. Moving it to features at least requires a breadcrumb in the prior location. Stuff that was so easy with a Right click Properties is now 3-4 more layers down.
April 12th, 2008 3:41pm

I have just installed Server 2008 for the first time. But the documentation is still of Server 2003 vintage. res://iesetup.dll/IESechelp.htm#manage on my system says: Go to Control Panel and then Add or Remove Programs. I assume it's Program and Features. Then it says go to Add/Remove Windows Components. I assume it's now Turn Windows features on or off. Well, it's nowhere to be found under Turn Windows features on or off.
July 7th, 2010 11:14pm

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 03:14:44 +0000, K.Kong wrote: I have just installed Server 2008 for the first time.? But the documentation is still of Server 2003 vintage. res://iesetup.dll/IESechelp.htm#manage on my system says: Go to Control Panel and then?*Add or Remove Programs*.? I assume it's*Program and Features*. Then it says go to *Add/Remove Windows Components*.? I assume it's now*Turn Windows features on or off*. Well, it's nowhere to be found?under *Turn Windows features on or off*. Open Server Manager. Look at the far right side of the section labeled Security Information. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca
July 8th, 2010 6:47am

Sorry to confuse. I did see the answer by Ian Vink. Posted my message hoping that the powers that be see it and will update the doucmentation.
July 8th, 2010 7:17am

After setting both admins and users to off, users found in Remote Desktop group on our Terminal Services Server still has IESC enabled. Is there any other places to check? GPO shows no added config for IESC. It's running win2008 ent 32-bit.
July 16th, 2010 9:15am

fixed by adding local gpo. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/26455b36-26bd-4a44-b594-5a9f67bcd8df#_Q2:_How_can
July 16th, 2010 9:52am

On Server 2003, this option is the best way to disable enhanced security on I.E.T Beaucage
February 10th, 2011 8:52am

Remove "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security" using Add\Remove programs Don't bother to try and configure it.
July 11th, 2011 9:11am

This is for windows server 2003. To enable/Disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration Open Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components. Select Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration, and then do one of the following: To apply the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration to both administrators and all other users, click Next. To apply the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration to only one of these groups (either administrators or users who are not in an Administrators group), click Details, select either For administrator groups or For all other user groups. Click Next, and then click Finish. Restart Internet Explorer to apply the enhanced security settings.
August 16th, 2011 11:40pm

Fuck you microsoft. yet another asshole move. Lets make it really fucking frustrating.... I find this sentiment to NOT BE ABUSIVE and is an accurate summary of the situation. Thank you WindowsBlows if only our squeeky little voices made a difference. My observation is this: Even after disabling IE ESC as described above I am reminded with EVERY SINGLE page that IE ESC is not turned on with a large yellow bar at the top. Which is really annoying. Would love to turn off the yellow bar. I find some obscure thing called f i r e f o x and c h r o m e working really well and frustration free. I want less frustration. Also grateful that no M V P's appeared to answer. Those answers are never solutions at all, EVER.
August 22nd, 2011 4:55pm

Without a doubt the single most annoying time consuming feature built into Windows.
September 17th, 2011 11:56am

Hello all. I have the same problem with my SEPM. The problem come from firewall in my case. I using Isa server 2004. I make a rule who allow all outbound traffic from "Computer" sepm-hostname/ip address (this is object in firewall who have to be created from the appropriate menu) to External network. Everything run smoothly. No more error = 4 or 2. For future use. Almost 99% of the returned error 4 or 2 is related to firewalls. Good luck to all and sorry for may pure English.
October 4th, 2011 3:23am

Is there a "Server Manager" in Windows Server 2003??? It seemed like your original question pertained to Server 2003....Bob K
November 28th, 2011 8:44pm

This is amazingly difficult. Is there a single definitive list that says exactly what to do?
January 9th, 2012 11:46am

Rudhra1 gave the definitive answer on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:40 AM Thank you Rudhra1
January 20th, 2012 4:33pm

sorry about the propose un-propose - thought it referred to what i was writing - i have disabled IE ESC so that all web pages open without its check - i did it thus _ went to control panel>programs and features>turn windows features on and off> security information>configure IE ESC - here is the option to turn on and off for administrator and/or users - after my doing this it was removed from IE and as mentioned web pages open without the pop up of ESC
April 5th, 2012 10:20pm

Can someone explain this screen shot... Server Manager says its off, but the browser says (and behaves as if) its on... When logged in as THE Administrator the setting is honored, but when logged in as any other account it is not.
April 30th, 2012 6:00pm

Restart Internet Explorer then it should work
June 12th, 2012 5:05am

Thanks! It works for me.
June 19th, 2012 10:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics